- Call moving companies for estimates
- Start cleaning and separating all unwanted items into three categories: trash, for sale, for donation
- Start packing room by room, labeling each box and loading lightly
- Start using up pantry items
- If you have children, arrange to obtain copies of all school records and forward to the new school
- Obtain birth records for all family members
- Create a moving inventory list
- Organize important documents and valuables
Transfer your bank account(s)
- Safety deposit box
Call/Go Online to change address for:
- Insurance companies (health/life/auto/homeowners)
- Credit card companies
- Places of worship
- Cell phone carrier
- Financial advisor
- Employer; department of licensing
- Veterans notify draft board or VA office
- Notify friends and relatives of new address
Request termination or transfer of membership of the following services and give the last date you need service:
- All utilities (gas, electricity, water, phone, cable, internet, lawn care)
- Mail delivery/P.O. Box
- Newspaper delivery
- Health club
- Country club
- Transfer your insurance on household property to be sure they are covered en route and at your new home.
1 Week prior to closing:
- Refill any prescriptions
- Create a meal plan
- Donate unopened food
- Pack last essentials
- Contact the utility companies in your new community and find out about any fees or deposits for installation of services.
At your new home:
- Arrange for service to begin on all utilities.
- Establish accounts at local banks.
- Register your car and update your license with your new address.
- Register to vote.
- Ask the post office for any mail being held for you.